Associate Production Director
CDR Fundraising Group, a well-established, full-service direct marketing company, with offices in Bowie, MD, and Arlington, VA, is seeking a skilled Associate Production Director to help lead our production team in executing all production responsibilities for our nonprofit clients’ direct mail programs. The Associate Production Director’s responsibilities include bidding print, imaging and mailshop; proofing and quality control; maintaining communications with all suppliers and coordinating all aspects of the direct mail production process, keeping projects on time and within budget. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker and natural leader, able to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
The major areas of expertise include:
- Direct mail for nonprofit fundraising
- Postal rates and regulations
- Assumes all production responsibilities of assigned direct mail programs. Works closely with account team to make sure program needs are met.
- Manages production schedules for each job based on mail date and job specifications. Drives adherence to schedule in cooperation with clients, internal teams and external suppliers.
- Engages in creative process, particularly regarding component specifications, cost-efficiency and adherence to USPS regulations. Creates final specifications for projects and shares internally.
- Conducts competitive bidding, pricing analysis, negotiations and budgeting for all aspects of direct mail campaigns. Writes and issues purchase orders and works with art department to manage organization of art release.
- Reviews data documents and writes data processing, imaging and lettershop instructions. Ensures data and accompanying documents are issued to the supplier in a timely and secure manner.
- Performs quality control measures including, but not limited to, internal art review prior to output, review of printing proofs, data counts and dumps, personalization setups and insertion setups. Communicates all changes to internal contacts and external suppliers.
- Directs lettershop in appropriate postage methods and analysis. Requests postage funds from client.
- Reviews and approves invoices for processing. Adheres to company billing procedures.
- Sustains knowledge of current postal regulations, suppliers and print technologies.
- Takes leadership of gang runs, acting as the Gang Run Manager, as assigned.
- Follows all company procedures, maintains production files and distributes package samples.
- Utilizes internal proprietary software for all production related documents and reports.
- Traffics production jobs through to completion, adhering to timelines and mail dates. Ensures timely issuance of all reports and transmissions to appropriate parties.
- Maintains communication with all key contacts throughout the process.
- Effectively negotiates supplier and USPS disputes.
- Negotiates contract pricing for major client programs.
- Supports new business development projects.
- Supervises less experienced members of the production staff and assists them in meeting their goals.
- Trains and mentors direct reports in addition to other staff as necessary.
- Leads department related projects and events.
- Contributes to the company by volunteering and participating in committees, task forces and other activities and events.
- 8+ years of experience managing production in the direct mail industry.
- Ability to create print specifications for multiple types of direct mail components.
- Thorough understanding of direct mail data processing, imaging and insertion requirements.
- Knowledge of nonprofit postal rates and regulations.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently on multiple deadline oriented projects.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal staff and external suppliers.
- Manages personnel effectively.
- High school diploma or equivalent; college degree preferred
- 8+ years of experience managing production in the direct mail industry
- Nonprofit experience required
- Agency experience required